Sour Cream Pastry
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup butter
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 4 plums
- Using a food processor or a pastry blender cut cold butter into flour and salt until mixture resembles a coarse meal. Small pieces of butter should still be visible.
- Pour sour cream and cold water over the mixture and work in by tossing with a fork until dough begins to form. Use your hands as little as possible and work the dough as little as possible.
- Divide dough into 2 balls, flatten into 2 rounds, wrap in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to rest for a minimum of 20 minutes. You can make your dough the previous day but make sure you take it out of the fridge for 10 minutes to warm slightly before rolling out.
- You will need only one of the pastry rounds for this recipe. The second can be easily frozen for another time.
- Roll the pastry out into a 9 inch circle and place in an 8-9 inch fluted edge tart pan
- You will need to blind bake this bottom crust before adding the fruit. Blind baking is essential so that the bottom crust will not get soggy.
- To blind bake a crust, simply place a piece of parchment paper or aluminum foil over the dough and cover the bottom of the pie plate with baking weights. (Marbles, dry beans, peas, rice or barley work just as well as anything else.)
- Bake at 180 degrees for about 12 -15 minutes.
- Remove baking weights and parchment (or foil). Bake for an additional 5 -10 minutes until the bottom is a light golden brown. Remove from oven.
- In a small pot melt the butter and add the brown sugar, cinnamon. aand nutmeg.
- Cook together over medium heat for a couple of minutes to slightly caramelize; just until the brown sugar is no longer grainy.
- Cut 3-4 large plums into thin wedges and arrange them over the blind baked pastry.
- Brush the glaze all over the arranged plums. Bake at 180 degrees F for about 25-30 minutes.
- Let the tart rest for 10 minutes before removing from the pan and serving.